Monday, November 15, 2010

Catching up...October.

Where do I start? Ah.. Week 1! - As soon as Oliver and I hit the ground at 7:35 a.m. I couldn't wait to get off of that plane, 2 days is a long time to travel with a dog. I was quite proud of him, he did very well and held his pottie the entire 14hr flight.  Customs was a breeze and Oliver was cleared and approved for entry.  Unfortunately, we underestimated his stay in quarantine. We were counting on the end of November but he'll be released around January 23rd. *tear*  He is quite happy in his kennel and the facility is top-notch. Nonetheless, I still choked back tears leaving him there. It's not quite so bad now, we have a morning routine of a two hour walk, which equates to approx. 4.25 miles depending on the chosen path of the day.  Household goods came the same day we arrived and I was too tired, too wired, to care where things went.  We were so impressed by the efficiency and the professionalism of the Japanese workers. Everything was cared for as it were their own. Our walls were not dinged, they took their shoes off upon entry of the house and removed all papers, wrapping, etc.  Before we left GA, David and I worked very hard at pairing down our belongings before we came. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough. According to Japanese standards, we have a fairly decent size housewhich afforded us two extra rooms.  But we soon found out that they were not enough. As soon as the rooms downstairs and our bedroom was set up...the standing joke with the movers was.."Spare room?", "Yes. Spare room." "Garage?", " Yes, garage." Now mind you, our spare room is now our guest/storage room AND we do not have a garage.  David decided to call the small 5 x 12ft patch off the side of the house our "Garage", where our stuff will remain until we decide to buy a storage shed.  The movers did a fine job of filling it up and when they left that evening, I'm sure they had a good laugh at our expense...those crazy Americans!  The rest of the week flew by, I obtained by new ID card, driver's license and learned my way around. I was surprised though that jet lag didn't bother me too bad. Of course, i'm sure it helped that I was sick before I left and self-medicated myself to sleep the entire plane ride over.

Week 2 - I was, and still am, facinated by the people and their ingenuity of how to use a bicycle.  I mean, how many children can one place on it? I've seen a mother so teeny-tiny ride with two children attached to the front and back of her bike, with groceries hanging off both handlebars, and hold an umbrella while simultaneously peddling on her way.  Even more facinating is when I see them texting, riding and holding an umbrella. Amazing! In case you did not know, cyclists have the right away, if you hit them its always your fault. The bicycle is also the best form of transportation. Young, old, domestic, professionals, school children. We even see Pizza Hut delivery boys on them!  My favorite, and I wish I had a picture, was to see an elderly couple riding like high school sweethearts. And by "elderly" I  do mean just that. They had to have been at least 80.  But there he was trying to balance himself while he was getting his momentum going with is sweetheart sitting side saddle on the back rack! The sight made me tear up a little, it was such picture to behold!
Week 3 -  My morning routines is well established. Up with David, who leaves at 7a.m. Dressed and at the base to walk with Oliver at 8:30, home by 11ish.  But this week we were given tickets to attend a concert at a local university.  What we did not know that the subject matter was lost in translation, which is why we had the tickets! Instead of a orchestral concert it was a lecture from a well known Dominican Republic percussionist....who gave his lecture in spanish, with a japanese intrepreter!  We had to laugh..because in the end one of the school teachers could speak spanish and she quietly intrepreted for us.  We all had a great laugh and it ended a wonderful evening by going out for Chinese food - in Japan!  That was a Thursday.  What better way to end Friday? Why not walk down to your own local neighborhood dive and eat!! Yes, we did.  We soon found out that because it was local their menu did NOT have pictures where you could look and point, but their's consisted of a hanging greaseboard written entirely in kanji! So between our zero knowledge of japanese, and their memory of some english from HS thirty years ago, and thanks to the gentleman-who really made the evening what it was- who did charades acting out our menu! It was hilarious and we laughed, and laughed.  We had a fantastic time and we now go there about once a week.  They are very friendly and together with our dictionaries we have great fun, and excellent food.  I say "our" because they even dusted off their japanese-to-english book just for us and have invited us back, again.

1 comment:

  1. Lori,
    Those mom and pop restaurants are my favorite! Chad and I used to point at the menu and just hope for the best! Reading this makes me miss Japan and the culture. Love you!

    ReplyDelete