Friday, February 11, 2011

Watashi no inu wa friendly desu! translation: My dog is friendly

The simple phrase of "Watashi no inu wa friendly desu" meaning, "my dog is friendly" has been such a blessing to me this week.  I walk Oliver three times a day - 5:00 am, noon, and at 7pm;  30, 60 and 30 minutes, respectively, with an occasional 15 or 20 minute one, mid-afternoon.  During these walk we often pass the same people out with their dogs and are suspiciously looked at as if to say "Who is this very tall woman and her extremely large dog?" to which I can assume they're really thinking...will her dog eat my dog?!
I wanted to let them know that my dog was friendly, so I ask my friend Rei how to say it.  This simple phrase has opened up my lonely days.  Lonely only during the day, as every English speaking person I know, works.  I pass Japanese people all day  and I feel suffocated because I do not , yet, know the language.  And for those of you that know me, know that I enjoy people and love to chat. 
I have to laugh because on Monday, a curious gentleman stopped to chat with me.  I wasn't sure what he said, but I did use my new phrase to which he then asked me in perfect English, "What kind of dog is he?"  We've met Yoko and her dog, Moku and hope to pass them again.  We've only put Mee-Maw's fears to rest that Oliver will not eat her dog that's just as old as she is, and I can only assume really, really old!
This morning was the best!  I met Mrs. Jun-ko and her daughter's dog.  It seems the biggest question, is what kind of dog is he?  Jun-ko informed me that we walk by her house everyday and I could stop and say hello.  However, I apologized because I didn't understand her directions and she let me follow her home.  Her home is one that I often admire and was curious about. She has a garden that I can assume is quite beautiful when in bloom.  She brought her husband out to interpret as he has lived and traveled abroad to England.  She is a domestic goddess as well, and he is a Farmer.  He is also the man  I see practicing his golf swing each day along the banks of the river when we walk.  This photo is of a Japanese radish, known as Daikon, which he proudly grows.  David and I often see it at the farmer's market and wondered what it was..now we know!  Mr. Jun-ko gave this to me as a gift, I felt so blessed and touched that they would extend this kind gesture to me a stranger.   I look forward to eating it. 
"Watashi no enu wa friendly des" has opened a door for new friendships.  Because of this simple phrase, Jun ko has invited me and David back to her home.  A visit I look forward to!

3 comments:

  1. My experience with eating Daikon is that is it always in raw form, which of course means that it would take forever to eat something this big. Perhaps, Junko San will have some suggestions for you. It sounds as though they will be a valuable asset to you in the future.

    Tsugi no "post" wa, yomitai desu. (Which is loosely interpreted as I look forward to reading your next post!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I clarify that "they" refers to Junko San and her golf loving hubby (not the Daikon).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I do believe they will. Yesterday David and I passed by Mr. Junko san and he had us go to his house so that David could mees Mrs. Junko San. I am to visit her house Tuesday to visit and set up a time during the week where I can teach her English and she can teach me Japanese and to cook! I'm looking forward to it! :) I will keep you all posted :)

    ReplyDelete