Friday, May 11, 2012

Meet Mr. Kobayashi, my Japanese grandfather...

I first met Mr. Kobayashi shortly after the March 2011 Earthquake while volunteering at the base American Red Cross.  Not much was really going on as I had the early morning shift - Our tent was specifically set up for those workers that were flying in to help out with the Tsunami disaster some 100+ miles north of us.  So the rush was minimal, just soldiers milling in and out awaiting transportation.

My job was to keep the coffee coming and restock the tables with donated baked good and breakfast items, which during the "rush" wasn't all too tasking.  However, after the rush I went back to our little corner to wait and read a book I brought so I wouldn't fall asleep.  Others brought their crafts of crocheting, knitting, or the base paper...in other words, not a whole lot was happening! While waiting for our next "rush" in walks this tiny old Japanese man wearing an American Red Cross jacket with the sweetest smile and proceeds to sit down at our table. Of course, we all look up and smile and say, "Hello!".  He proceeded to sit down next to a lady at the end of the table as if he knew her, or so I thought.  He was wearing the Red Cross jacket so I thought that they were well acquainted with one another, but as I watched and "etheled" I could slowly tell she was feigning interest in him which clued me in she did not want to be bothered.

Watching this little old man with his bright smile trying to start a conversation in his best "English" next to the lady crocheting who couldn't be bothered was painful. I just had to go rescue him! As with all old people, I am curious to know their story ~ where they're from? How old are they? Married? Children? I'm fascinated with the stories I've heard over the years...and being in Japan, guessing his age, I assumed he might have been around during WWII.  I'm curious about these things..especially now that we have several US military bases here.  What do they think and feel about us being here? 

I suppose my fascination comes from growing up with my grandmother, who escaped the northern winters by spending it with our military family.  We always seemed to be stationed somewhere warm. She was a Seneca Indian born on the Tonawanda Indian Reservation from the Iroquois Nation in Western NY.  We always looked forward to her visits. At bed time my sister and I would take turns sleeping with her when she stayed with us. It was such a treasure. We'd scratch her back as she'd tell stories of when she was a little girl.  Mostly of what life was life growing up on the reservation where we're from and what it was like "back then".  She was born in 1903, so she had plenty of years of experience and my sister and I were always fascinated with her and her siblings and life on "The Rez"...I'm digressing, but I know that's where my fascination comes from. I want to know the stories behind those dimmed bright eyes, the story of the wrinkles on their hands and face.  I want them to know that they MATTER!

Upon moving seats I saw that he had two hearing aids, inwardly I groaned and chuckled, I knew the challenge ahead!  I wondered how this was going to go, especially since I didn't know Japanese and his English was very difficult to understand.  We soon found out that we both live in Kusabana, and after further probing on his part of where, we realized that we live on the same road about a mile apart.  He asked if he could stop by sometime and, of course, I said, "Yes!"  What made me giggle next is that he pulled out his cell phone and asked for my number and if we could take a picture with one another -  He was 81!! Those tech savvy Japanese!

Over the course of the year since we've met, he has shown David and I "his country".through "his eyes".  I love this man.  He has welcomed me into his home and into his life.  I can ride my bike to his home and take "tea" with him and his wife.  I am greeted with "Dozo, dozo" (come in, come in) by both of them.  Mrs Kobayashi does not speak a word of English, but her warm smile and eyes remind me of my grandmother.  There is such a kindness there that when I sit down on the floor at the table - I am home.

My grandfather died when I was 5. I miss him. I didn't have that experience of knowing him. But meeting Kobaya san has given me that experience of having a grandfather. He calls just to say hello and check on me.  When his garden produces the newest vegetable he shares it with me.  Oftentimes I come home and I know he's been by by the goodies on my stoop.  He has taken me to many local dance ceremonies at his shrine, I even went to the March 3rd "Bean Ceremony" where it's a mixed combination of Mardi Gras and Puxatawny Phil...that's for another story.  Last year on my birthday he showed up with the most beautiful two dozen tea roses I'd ever seen ~ it made me weepy, I was so touched.  So this June 6th he will turn 83.  What do I get someone who has EVERYTHING? He is totally enthralled with the Western culture and the US.  Volunteering with American Red Cross on base here he has met many important people who have given him various trinkets and tokens from America.  But he means more to me than some friend from work, he's family.  Each time I visit Kobiya san's home he's always showing me pictures. He's always taking pictures. Then I realized, that's it! I'm going to make a photo album for him of our past year together.  It's taken me all week to narrow down which photos I want, but what will make it even more special is that I will include pictures in there of our Gyoza Party tomorrow in my home.  What's so special about that?  Mr. Takahashi will be a guest here, as well.  They have not seen one another in 26 years.  I think that's pretty special!

3 comments:

  1. This has got to be your best post, ever! Your heart and soul are seen with every word. To think that a stranger could fulfill a need for a grandfather that you've been missing all your life is absolutely miraculous.

    Keep the posts coming. They're so touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mom! It took me forever to write about him..I just could never find the words. But, after sifting through pictures this week trying to make his gift just right I KNEW I had to right about him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lor - I'm in tears reading this. For me, it draws from the heart springs my love for people and my love for Japan. Thank you for showing forth the love of Christ and sharing your heart.

    Your older, little brother - Treva

    ReplyDelete