Thursday, March 24, 2011

Conserving Energy - Roulette Style!

Since March 11, Each day is a barrage of public service announcements and warning from the Giant Voice in our city.  We didn't have a CLUE of what was being said and the first few days we relied on rumors. Thankfully, Rei, our Japanese friend who lives on base, would kindly listen for the announcements and interpret them for us.  Now, finally, Fussa City gives Yokota heads up for those of us living off base and the announcement is then posted on FaceBook. Thank you, Mr. Zuckerman!
Oh yes, Public Service announcements...well,  we found out that the majority of them are notifications of our rolling blackouts.  In order to conserve energy, Tokyo is divided up by its suburbs, so to speak, and we are subject to 3-4hr rolling blackouts.  Sort of like Russian Roulette.  Instead of a gun it's with energy.   So some days it's from 12:30 to 16:30, the next is from 9:30 - 12:30, etc..you get the picture. Sometimes if the city has been good on conserving energy we get a reprieve by cancelling the next day's blackouts and don't always find out until AFTER you've altered you schedule. Grrrrr...!  These rolling blackouts have become quite the aggravation making it hard to plan my day around...I have an order to my day with regards to cleaning my home and making dinner.  So my housework rolls with the blackouts, too.  Not to mention, my walks with Oliver..he's a little discombobulated, as well. 
But amongst all this disorder...(insert evil hee-hee) David and I have found our humor.  A little tid-bit, the Japanese do not have four-way stops here, or even three-way stops for that matter.  Our first blackout occurred at 6:30pm and it was to last until 9:30 so we decided to venture out with Oliver for a walk.  David wanted to take my day route in the dark, I was like no way there may be Gah-hiite..(Ghosts)..there's a shrine along the route that has dressed up baby Buddha's. It's just a little creepy..he laughed and we headed towards Fussa...over the bridge...it was cold that night and the wind was whipping, what were we thinking??  Well all this second guessing flew out of our minds, forgetting the cold,  when we came across our first intersection with the lights out (it was pitch black).  Did I mention that the Japanese are probably the politest society I know?
Picture this, you have to, walking along, pitch black, no moon, and the wind being very, very cold...then imagine coming across a VERY BUSY four way intersection with no light signal and no one knows what a four-way stop is.  It was hilarious!  The cars were doing one of two things. 1) they were politely scooching up into the intersection, tapping on their horn or 2) just kinda creeping up then blowing through.   Now the tapping of the horn wasn't  a "hey, I'm here watch out" it was a "No, no, you go..." and then the other would tap back, "No. No. I insist, you go..." and back in forth this would go. We had found our evening  entertainment.  We stood on the corner for about five minutes watching the cars politely tap back and forth, going, not going, the heck with it, I'm barreling through, making up our own imagined conversation  of the drivers and couldn't stop laughing!!  I'm chuckling now,  just thinking about it. (insert evil hee-hee-hee ...)
It didn't occur to us to video tape this until AFTER we got home.  We have had several blackouts since then but not at night.  I promise to videotape the next time we have one at night.  We figure that videotaping them at night would be less noticeable than during the day.  The Japanese have a hard enough time figuring out how to cross during the day, let alone stopping to pause and wonder what those CRAZY Gaijin's are doing on the sidewalk??!  Our blackouts are opened ended until the reactors are controlled.  Things here are finding their own "new" normal - Gas has trickled back in, there are more cars on the road; shelves are still bare and when supplies do come in they are bought just as quick.  I, finally, saw some of my old dog walking friends this past Sunday.  I am happy. So until our "new" normal is here to stay... I will continue to find humor in my everyday living!

3 comments:

  1. Remember the two chipmunks, Chip and Dale? "After you." "No, after you." "I insist, you first."

    It's good that to find humor through, otherwise, difficult times.

    Loved this post the best...even if you were "chucking"! (I hope that wasn't up-chucking-LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grrr....spellcheck! I read aloud, too :) Must have been too busy laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. are you okay in Japan Lori!?!? I totally forgot you were there so much has been going on on my end. Sending you love an prayers.

    <3,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete