Monday, April 4, 2011

When I am 90...

Spring has arrived - It came today bringing with it a bright sun, a warm breeze, a sky filled with blue and budding flowers and trees at every glance.   It also brought me a special dose of homesickness.  It reminded me of being back home on the Rez...the smell, the breeze, the river.  I wanted to be home taking a walk, not here in Japan.  I have to be honest I didn't really want to walk in this weather today it amplifies my homesickness. But Oliver's tummy is upset, so in fear of him throwing up in the house we went for a walk.
Along our normal path Oliver and I had the pleasure of meeting the sweetest 90 year old man. Yes, I said N-I-N-E-T-Y!  When we came upon him I did my usual head nod and smiled, sometimes I'll say, "Konnichiwa"  and sometimes I don't.  We've never seen him before  so I chose to do the first and he spoke to me instead.  Unfortunately, I can only understand a few catch phrases and I didn't understand him and answered with Gomenisai, ni hongo wakaru nai (I'm sorry, but I don't speak Japanese).  He then asked if I spoke English and when I answered, "Yes", to my surprise he said in perfect English, "Where are you from?"  This opened up a completely unexpected conversation.
Once our formalities were done, we walked along the river bank for two miles.  He was a little hard of hearing, and we walked a little slow but during this walk I learned that he had spent one year in Montgomery, Alabama attending the Air College  learning about a new aircraft that McDonnell-Douglas was building,  the Jet Engine!  He was chosen by his company to learn about the new plane and how to fly it.  I learned that it took him over a week to get America.  One day  for each stop - Tokyo to Wake Island, Wake Island to Hawaii, Hawaii to San Francisco.  He then traveled by train from San Francisco to Montgomery, which took 3 nights and 4 days.  PHEW. I'm tired of just thinking about it!
I also learned that he has four children, 3 sons and 1 daughter.  He has a granddaughter that just married an Australian and is to meet him in a few days.  He was very happy that he could practice his English on me.  I also learned that he is just visiting for a few days, but is looking for an apartment or home close to his son, whom he is visiting.  Our walk only lasted about 45 minutes, but I wished it were longer, he had to return to his son's house.  His daughter-in-law was coming to make lunch, then he was going to catch a train to Tachikawa for a dental appointment.   Did I mention he was 90?!! Yes, he was traveling by himself.
I never did catch his name, but that's alright because what I learned is that even though homesickness has a way of creeping up on you, push through it and find the positive.  I was able to feel past this, enjoy the beauty of today, this sweet man helped me recognize that when I'm ninety,  I want to walk two miles on my own with a sound mind!  So, "Thank You" kind stranger for sharing your walk with me on this beautiful Spring day.

6 comments:

  1. Onesan/Ahji' (Japanese/Seneca)
    You have such a gift with writing. I hope you continue to find the beauty in the Japanese as a country and people. The Okinawans left a lasting impression on myself from two decades ago. The Japanese people and culture has always amazed me at their resiliency and ability to make the best of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had this man not been so fluent in English, your day would have been much different. It's amazing that the Lord brings exactly what we need when we need it.

    Also, because you always show interest in others, especially the elderly, your blessing was two-fold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mother,This really was a blessing. I had such a great time chatting with him I completely forgot I was homesick! Earlier, I was almost in tears.

    Niles, thank you so much for your words of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori, I loved your post and will follow your blog. As your mom said, I think the elderly gentleman was sent by a higher power to comfort you, who knows perhaps he has known you or your family in a previous life. I believe life is a continuum, never ending, always connected. When we interact with others, we receive as much as we give - be well. sheila b

    ReplyDelete