Monday, January 23, 2012

Top 10 2011 memories of Japan

Where did the year go?  It's hard to believe that it's been 10 months since I've last posted. I have about 20 posts started but not finished...there is just so much to tell that by the end of each day I'm too tired to write and then I tell myself that I'll finish it tomorrow.  Well, we know how that turned out!! So my goal is to post at least once a week in 2012, but again it started out with a bang and just keeps getting busier.

Here is my Top 10 experiences for 2011!

1. Jan 1st David and I went on a Mystery Tour to 4 different prefectures of Japan, and to this day we still don't know where because our entire tour was in Japanese..to include our brochure!

2. In February during my daily walk I met the Nakurma's - Junko san and Otosan along with their daughter, Kae who is my japanese BFF.  The Nakurma's have proclaimed themeselves as my Japanese parents and their 3rd daughter. Im a touched beyond belief and humbled by the generosity of their friendship, home, family garden, and much much more. They have made my first year here unforgetable!

3. March 11.  I woke to the most beautiful red sunrise and never imagined that later on that day a 9.0 magnitude earthquake would devastate Japan and rock the lives of the people here forever. It was and still his heartbreaking.  One of my acquaintances lost her best friend of 40s.  She lived in Sendai where she was taken away in the Tsunami.  I could only hug her in my arms as she cried.

4. After the earthquake, I volunteered at the the base American Red Cross and met the sweetest old man, Mr. Kobyashi.  After getting to know one another that day we found out that we live only a mile apart...to which he frequently rides his bike to my home delivering fresh vegetables from his garden. Oh and he's 83!

5. Due to a large amount of people evacuating back to America. Many english classes were left without a teacher.  I was contacted about substituting for these classes and I have not slowed down since! I teach 4 days a week, various hours...I'm really quite busy.

6. Summer went by in a FLASH...it was quite hot but David and I were able to visit downtown Tokyo, only to find out it was a holiday and everything was closed! But we did get to visit the Tokyo Tower.

7. Oh! Forgot about the Cherry Tree Season!!! Gorgeous, beautiful, breathtaking don't even come close to expressing how spectacular the blossoms are here. It's like walking under a canopy of PINK! My favorite color by the way!

8. Went to several different types of festivals that were interesting. Ginger festival, Tanabata festival, Firefly...apparently there's many many more but due to the Earthquake in honor of the 10,000 plus lives lost most were cancelled.

9. We climbed Mt. Takeo and Mt. Mitake.  They each have their own beauty but Mt. Mitake is my favorite!

10. We have a running club here and I decided to join.  In December I ran my first half-marathon! Yeah Me!!

Okay so I said 10, but....

11.  David and I finished out the year by having a traditional Soba noodles dinner New Years Eve with Mr. and Mrs. Kobyashi.  Soba noodles are very long and the Japanese eat them at the end of year to wish for a long life and good health for the coming year!  It was delicious!!


Stay tuned for 2012...!

No comments:

Post a Comment